Forum

Forum Navigation
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

AGA or Telogen Effluvium?

Over the last year I have experienced recession from a NW0 to a NW1/2. I also experienced diffuse thinning across my entire scalp. My dermatologist said it was telogen effluvium but I have not seen any regrowth and it continues to shed periodically. I also just recently got blood work and found out I have copper deficiency as well as iron overload (65% saturation). I also had severe brain fog, word slurring, adrenal fatigue, and some hypothyroid symptoms (thyroid hormone went from 1.9 to 6.4 in a few months). Do you think I have telogen effluvium or AGA? How can I fix this? I have spent the past year researching hair loss and know about finasteride, minoxidil, nizoral, derma rolling, massaging, RU and CB, etc. I do not take any meds currently and have no routine.

Any advice is appreciated.

Top Hair Loss Treatments has reacted to this post.
Top Hair Loss Treatments

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you are a male over 18 years old and losing your hair it will almost certainly be male pattern baldness/androgenetic alopecia (AGA).

When you say you are experiencing diffuse thinning across your entire scalp, do you mean the back and sides too? If so, then maybe it could indeed be telogen effluvium. However, if your hair loss is concentrated on the top of your scalp (particularly the temples and crown), then it is almost certainly AGA.

It sucks, I know, but the interventions you mention (particularly finasteride, as long as you don't get/can tolerate side effects) really do work. I would advise you to speak to a doctor and potentially get on finasteride as soon as possible. This is because it is much harder to regrow hair lost due to AGA than maintain it.

Hope this helps! 🙂

Quote from Guest on May 29, 2020, 1:43 pm

Over the last year I have experienced recession from a NW0 to a NW1/2. I also experienced diffuse thinning across my entire scalp. My dermatologist said it was telogen effluvium but I have not seen any regrowth and it continues to shed periodically. I also just recently got blood work and found out I have copper deficiency as well as iron overload (65% saturation). I also had severe brain fog, word slurring, adrenal fatigue, and some hypothyroid symptoms (thyroid hormone went from 1.9 to 6.4 in a few months). Do you think I have telogen effluvium or AGA? How can I fix this? I have spent the past year researching hair loss and know about finasteride, minoxidil, nizoral, derma rolling, massaging, RU and CB, etc. I do not take any meds currently and have no routine.

Any advice is appreciated.

what the admin said is right dude, sooner you accept you have male pattern baldness and take action the better, denial is real